Saturday, February 21, 2009

Coraline in 3D: Definitely worth it

Tonight, a small group of us tried a new Raleigh restaurant, Coquette, that occupies what until now has been one of the restaurant spots of the damned: every establishment that fills the space dies quickly. I'm thinking this one may finally beat the curse. It bills itself as a French brasserie, and though its look isn't as authentic as it might be, the appearance is close enough, and the food is closer. With the exceptions of the ratatouille and the duck liver pate, both of which were pleasant but no more, everything we ate was delicious. We'll be going back.

We then walked across the mall's courtyard to see Coraline in 3D. I liked the Neil Gaiman novel but did not love it, but I'm happy to support his work, stop-motion animation, and 3D, so I had multiple reasons for wanting to see the movie. I enjoyed it quite a bit, though like the book I did not love it. What I did love was the 3D look, which was easily the best I've ever seen and which kept me interested almost all the time. I definitely recommend seeing this film in 3D if you still can.

In writing news, I'm now hopeful that I'm within a month of starting to lay text on Children No More, but I am already worried that its darkness will put off readers. This book, though, is one I have to write the way it is in my head, so I'll just have to pray folks like it. So what's new, right? Well, all I can say is, wait until you see this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm a huge gaiman fan, and i loved the book, so i went in expecting to love the movie - and it still blew me away. :) i thought the 3d was incredibly well-done. (in particular, they avoided one of the problems i've had before, which i'm not sure how to describe, but it's basically that they do something in 3d that's too fast for my eyes to follow / adjust, and it gives me a sort of visual whiplash, if that makes any sense. also, the polarized glasses were surprisingly natural-feeling.) and the animation!! <3 <3 <3

overall, i definitely plan to own it in 2d on dvd, and i'm really happy we caught it in 3d.

- lisa

Labels

Blog Archive