Tuesday, February 17, 2009

On the road again: Las Vegas, day 4

Tonight's show was Love, my favorite of all the Cirque creations I've seen. I loved it once again and found it as full of joy this time as the first, though tonight some sadness tinged the happiness because two of our party had to leave early due to illness of one of them and another had to miss the show due to sickness. This trip, though generally good, has been tough on several folks due to illness, and I've found myself again and again feeling the failure because I could not deliver the perfect time I had hoped to provide. I know that's an irrational reaction, but that knowledge doesn't stop my feelings.

As I watched Love, I realized yet again the powerful effect rock and roll has had on my life. I remember grown-ups telling me I'd outgrow rock and roll, yet I feel today as strongly about it as I did as a young child: I can't imagine ever stopping playing it. The first album I ever bought was Beatles 65, and to my embarrassment my heart still fills with young boy crush love at the sound of "Eight Days a Week." Love, combining as it does the sorcery of Cirque and the magic of the Beatles, is thus tailor-made for me. As with O, I wish I could take everyone I know to it. If you haven't seen it, I hope one day you do. I'm terribly sorry that any of our party had to miss it tonight, but at least they have all seen it before. I am very glad of that.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive