Monday, February 16, 2009

On the road again: Las Vegas, day 3

We saw Cirque du Soleil's O tonight, and it took me only a few minutes to be able to formulate the essential difference between it and last night's show, Criss Angel: Believe:

Criss Angel tried to do magic.

O is magic.

O fills my heart with magic each time I see it. If I'm ever filthy rich (not damn likely), I'd like to buy out a show and let all my friends (and anyone who's bought all my books) attend for free. I'd love to be able to share this with everyone.

Our seats, which were the best I could manage, were near the very top of the hall, by all normal standards the worst seats I've ever had for O. Despite that fact, however, all of us greatly enjoyed the view, because it was so different from being close to the stage. From our height, we could appreciate more fully the show's design, the interplay of the various parts, and the sheer amount of activity all over the amazing stage. I'm glad I saw it from this angle.

In unrelated news, despite skipping breakfast, I believe I'm consuming roughly 14 trillion calories a day. My weight is currently about 1,317.75 pounds and climbing. I expect to need to fly to Raleigh as cargo in a FedEx jumbo jet.

Perhaps it's time to cut down a bit on the food.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

imnsho, there are no bad seats for cirque (barring something stupid like being directly behind a lighting tower). i like the close rows because you can see expression and muscle articulation; the nosebleed seats give you the full sweep of color and motion and spectacle (there's almost always someone doing something random on the fringes); and mid-range seats are the best of both worlds.

also, vegas is made for overeating. self-restraint isn't even in their vocabulary! i sympathize with your plight. *hug*

- lisa

Mark said...

Thanks. I have to agree with your points. Cirque does a great job of making all the seats except those few with obstructed views deliver good experiences.

Labels

Blog Archive