Sunday, February 22, 2009

Humility via eBay

I was on eBay searching for old pulps for my friend, Dave--hey, his birthday is only seven months away!--and, as I sometimes do, I searched for my books there. I found a few folks already selling the advance reading copies (ARCs) of Overthrowing Heaven. These things have only existed for a few weeks, and already they're on eBay! Wow, book reviewers move fast.

To be fair, I don't believe book reviewers get much at all in the way of pay--I sure didn't when I reviewed for our local newspaper--so I don't begrudge them selling the ARCs to get a little extra money. I was just surprised to see the suckers already for sale.

I hope the folks that buy them enjoy them.

As for me, each time I indulge in these acts that combine ego stroking with masochism, I wonder why I bother. What I can do is write the best book I can, then write the next one. I shouldn't worry about the rest.

I figure if I remind myself often enough of this fact, it might eventually make its way through my thick skull.

Or not; it is a very thick skull.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive