Sunday, May 18, 2014

Godzilla


Prior to seeing Godzilla Saturday night, I'd heard only negative things from people about the movie.  This feedback surprised me, because the RottenTomatoes reviews--both critics and audience--were in the seventies, more than respectable scores.  As a lifelong Godzilla fan, though, I was determined to go no matter what. 

I'm glad I did.  I quite enjoyed this latest version. 

Sure, as some people noted, it could have used a lot more of the monsters and less of the people, but that's okay; Godzilla and Muto got a decent amount of screen time. 

Yes, many of the actors were indeed weak.  Aaron Taylor-Johnson, who was so good in Kick-Ass, was a charisma-free vacuum here, his every moment on screen a testimony to just how dull an actor can be.  Elizabeth Olsen, playing his wife, turned in one of the more generic performances I've seen recently.  Only Ken Watanabe truly shined, though the script gave him basically two emotions:  tortured, and more tortured.

When the monsters took the stage, however, the film shined.  The climax of the final battle, which I want to describe but won't in case you haven't seen the movie, is wonderful and made me happy. 

If you've at all enjoyed Godzilla movies over the years, check out this new entry.  You'll be glad you did.


No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive