Monday, April 13, 2009

Well, we went

Yes, despite the Charlie Jane Anders review I cited yesterday, and in part because of it, we trundled off tonight to see Dragonball Evolution.

Wow. This movie was a pinball ball bouncing madly inside a machine full of cliche bumpers, bad CGI chutes, worse actor paddles, and yet long arcs full of amusing moments.

Sarah and Scott, however, could not enjoy it as much as I did, because they actually knew something about the original Dragonball Z and so expected this movie to hew more closely to its source. According to them, I should be glad I never watched any of the originals. (They got that right: I was glad before, and I still am.)

In the movie's defense, I have to say that it is always a treat to get to watch Chow Yun Fat crack jokes and act like a bum. He stole every scene he was in, which is predictable, but more amazing was that he managed to keep a straight face almost all of the time while doing so.

I would have smirked more.

If you must see this one, wait for DVD, or at least pay matinee prices.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive