Saturday, April 18, 2009

Crank 2: 100% awesome

As we were discussing Crank 2 on the drive home today, Kyle correctly observed that if you were the kind of person who would even consider seeing this movie, you would love it, and if you wouldn't ever think for a moment of going to it, you would hate it.

I not only considered going to it, I planned ahead to go to a matinee on opening day, so I'm obviously in the first camp. My verdict?

Crank 2 is easily the most amazing thing I've seen in ages.

As a velocity exercise, it out-races its predecessor, with action that rarely lets up.

As a complete and utter insane violent fantasy, it also blows away the first movie. The original Crank seemed at times to be falling victim to several errors:
* trying to be a serious movie
* avoiding going as far as a scene might
* occasionally giving lip service to the notion of making sense

The sequel never makes these mistakes. It screams what it is from every scene, and in every scene you get the strong sense that the only reason that bit of the film wasn't more insane is that the filmmakers simply couldn't think of a way to make it crazier.

I laughed so often and so hard that I hurt. I nearly choked on Diet Coke and almost shot it through my nose at one point. I can't count how many times I said or thought, "Holy shit!"

If you even think you might like to see Jason Statham connecting car jumper cables to his nipple and tongue, then rush to this movie. If not, stay home, because that's about as tame as Crank 2 gets.

Wow.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive