Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Ice cream run amuck?

I love ice cream. It's one of my many great weaknesses. I buy specialty ice creams from local dairies and mail-order via the wonderful icecreamsource.com. In ice cream, as in many things, I am prone to overdoing it a bit, or so some folks tell me.

Consider this example, and judge for yourself.

Saturday night, I'm throwing a belated birthday party for myself here at our house. (In our group, one tends to throw one's own parties.) Somewhere between 17 and 20 of us will attend. We'll have two cakes, but of course we need ice cream. I mean, what's a party without ice cream?

So, I went online to the aforementioned site and started ordering. Here's how my thinking went.

Zanzibar chocolate; hmmm. Everyone loves it, and everyone who wants some should get some, so I'll order four pints. (I actually started with five but talked myself down; such self-control!)

Chocolate Raspberry Truffle, of course, is the perfect chocolate complement, as well as a chocolate option for those crazed souls who don't love Zanzibar. Better toss in three of them.

I had a request for cinnamon, and I love it, too; let's grab three of those.

I need some non-chocolate. Man, that maple ice cream we had a while back was dee-licious. Let's get a pair of them.

Scott loves strawberry, and as my son his opinion counts. Throw two in the virtual cart.

Of course, one cake will be chocolate, so I better grab a couple vanillas. Done.

Then again, I do love cherry ice creams; let's take two of those cherries jubilee pints.

What about gelato fans, though? Yeah, a pair of red raspberry pints should serve them.

Okay, might as well have a cherry-off; it's fate. Let's take a pint of that Door County cherry gelato.

And that's how you end up with 21 pints of ice cream and a tab of over two hundred bucks (one-third of it rush shipping).

Now, lest you feel I went too far overboard, I should note that we will actually eat these over four nights, and Kyle is visiting, so I had to lay in some extra for him.

When you think about it, my order really was only sensible. Prudent, in fact.

Maybe too prudent. I wonder if I might need some more; maybe a trip to Maple View Farm is in order.

6 comments:

John Lambshead said...

Ah, ice creaaaaaaaaam,
Have you ever tried Cornish ice cream covered in Cornish clotted cream. You put on half a stone just by sniffing it.
John

Mark said...

I have not, but it sounds lovely.

Michelle said...

Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia should be on your to eat list. Nectar of the gods.

Mark said...

It is one of my favorites.

Scott L. said...

You're not going to be able to wear your graduation tutu if you eat all that ice cream. Just think how sad your Sarah will be if that happens!

Mark said...

Excellent points! I must consider moderation.

Labels

Blog Archive