Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Slower and less angry

Yes, I ignored all the reviews and last Friday night went to check out Fast and Furious. Why?

Two words: Michelle Rodriguez. I knew in advance that her role was little more than a long cameo, but I just can't resist her.

Plus, to be fair, we had fast cars and plenty of things going "Boom!"

To my surprise, the 9:40 show at our local theater sold out, and the 10:10 show, which we attended, was nearly full. As my friend, Alissa, a teacher who moonlights at the theater to make extra money, knowingly said, "People like them some Vin."

The film had a plot. It had characters, and it made sure we knew most of their motivations--and slyly kept vague the demons driving Paul Walker, as it would reveal them over time. The team behind this number-one-at-the-box-office feature carefully assembled all of the pieces.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone in the theater cared about any of the characters in the film. Giving a damn about them would have required more effort than digesting the last Amazon cardboard box you received.

All that said, I went in expecting empty calories, dined on my movie junk food, and left having had a pleasant enough time watching fast cars and things going "Boom!" I am such a movie slut.

I just wish they'd given Michelle Rodriguez a bigger role.

1 comment:

Karen Z said...

Vin is very hot, yes.... I will make a note of the movie for a weekend I am home alone...

Labels

Blog Archive