Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Bill Hicks on my mind

One of my many ongoing projects is the preparation for my spoken word show at Balticon. (I sure hope a decent crowd shows up, because this sucker is a lot of work.) As I've been jotting notes and arranging bits, Bill Hicks (the comedian, not the musician) has been prominent in my thoughts. I've mentioned him before in this blog, so I'll make this simple: If you don't know his work, you need to check him out. Buy a CD or watch one of the few available DVDs, and you'll quickly appreciate the intensity and intelligence of this guy--and you'll laugh until you hurt.

I should warn that he was also foul-mouthed and willing to discuss any topic, including many dirty ones, so forget my recommendation if you don't want to hear that sort of thing.

If I can be a tenth as entertaining and insightful as Hicks was, I'll be happy.

I wish he was still around.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

"If I can be a tenth as entertaining and insightful as Hicks was, I'll be happy."

That seems unlikely, since it never seemed to make Bill Hicks happy.

Mark said...

An interesting and potentially accurate observation. Ouch.

Labels

Blog Archive