Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mamma Mia

Despite Kyle's admonition that seeing this movie could cause all the manhood in my body to vanish, the other night a few of us went to the theater to check it out. I'm not an Abba fan, and I'd read the largely mediocre reviews, but I do like musicals, and I was curious about one particular aspect of the film: Meryl Streep's performance.

I consider Streep to be one of the finest technical actresses of the last several decades. In The French Lieutenant's Woman, she nailed the look on the pier, an expression that Fowles described so beautifully I didn't think anyone could do it. In Sophie's Choice, her agony was palpable. And so on.

The problem is, I've never found her likable, appealing, sexy, or even warm. I can't explain it; I just never have.

Mamma Mia surprised me thrice:

* I actually enjoyed most of it, despite its many flaws.

* I learned that I, too, could star in a musical despite being utterly unable to sing, because Pierce Brosnan did--and, boy, is his singing voice weak.

* I found Meryl Streep likable, appealing, warm, and even sexy.

I do, though, now feel the desperate need to see Death Race. I can't wait for it to start.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Navigators!

Anonymous said...

Katharine and I are super excited about Death Race.

Anonymous said...

Chick flicks are easy, you ought to try a Jonas Brothers concert with 18000 screaming kids mostly girls. That will shake your foundation.
They did put on a great show tho.

Mark said...

No, thanks. I wold rather stay home and push pins into my legs.

Labels

Blog Archive