Saturday, February 23, 2008

Random walk

Don't you hate fortune cookies that don't provide fortunes? I don't care if the little slip of paper is the most random prediction in the world, provided it meets two criteria:

1) It is an actual prediction.
2) The prediction is about the reader (in my case, of course, me).

I'm still sick, maybe sicker. That sucks, because my mind feels like it's running at slow speed. When I force myself to focus hard, I can escape the slowdown, but at a price.

Tonight, I finished going over the copyedited manuscript of Slanted Jack. The copyeditor did a great job, and I'm pleased with the outcome. By happy coincidence, one of the great folks on Baen's Bar who bought the eARC of the book found a continuity inconsistency with One Jump Ahead. My thanks, oh great and careful reader! I fixed the problem on the copyedited ms., and now the hardcover will be correct. What a great side-effect of eARCs!

From next Tuesday through Sunday I will be attending TED @Aspen, the try-out remote branch of the fabulous TED conference that I have wanted to attend since I first heard about it over twenty years ago. The final email note from the organizers suggests staying off email the entire time; I doubt that will be practical for me, but I will come as close as I reasonably can. I am incredibly excited about the chance to attend. It appears unlikely that I will get into the 2009 conference--though I'm still holding out hope--so this may be my one shot at the conference.

We watched We Own the Night on DVD earlier this evening. Though many things about it were good, on balance it was a downer that often felt as if it were simultaneously formulaic and drifting out of control. I'd also like to suggest to Joaquin Phoenix that he not mumble every line. Of course, he's the one getting millions per film, so what do I know?

Back to a bit more work, then finally to sleep.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive