Saturday, May 2, 2015

Avengers: Age of Ultron


When I was a kid, comic books were magic.  They transported me into worlds in which ordinary people transformed into heroes--and still, thanks to the advent of the Marvel comics of Stan Lee and others, had to cope with ordinary problems.  No matter how powerful those silver-age Marvel heroes became, they still were clearly people.

Comics were my friends and my teachers.

Watching this second Avengers movie, I became for a time a kid again.  I marveled at all the power and the glory of the Avengers' heroics, and I felt for their humanity.  Despite the challenge of managing a huge cast and the need to deliver action on a regular basis, writer/director Joss Whedon never lost sight of how important the humanity of these heroes is.

For my taste, this is the best comic-book movie ever.  Period.

It's also just a darn good movie.

Yeah, it's sometimes silly, its jokes are often cheesy and in a few cases groan-worthy, and its plot follows a predictable arc, but none of that mattered, at least not to me.

As any great comic series does, this movie shows that even the greatest and most powerful of heroes have limits, that they do fail, and that what matters is what they do afterward, when they could choose to give up.

No doubt part of the sentimental side of me comes from my love of comics and all the hours I spent alone reading them, but I make no apologies for any of that.  Comics helped make me a better person.

Earlier tonight, the four-color dreams of my youth blasted onto the screen and let me be young again, and for that I am grateful.



3 comments:

Deb said...

I saw it today and felt the same way. I loved the movie. Comics were a major part of my life, and this type of fun story telling is what made me fall in love with them in the first place.

old aggie said...

Last year's "Guardians" was my favorite comic book movie, but otherwise I agree wholeheartedly with you on "Ultron." I really sensed the deleted scene set in Asgard, though. Even if I hadn't been watching for Loki (after seeing Hiddleston credited on IMDB) and didn't see him anywhere, there was just a disconnect between what they showed us of Thor's pool vision and what he did when he got back to the lab where the others were. I'll definitely want to see deleted scenes or a longer version on DVD.

Mark said...

Guardians was more fun and a close second for me. I also look forward to one day seeing those missing bits.

Labels

Blog Archive