Monday, August 10, 2009

On the road again: Worldcon, Montreal, day 5

Last night, I went to bed late, but I got to sleep late--over eight hours! I awoke ready to sleep another sixteen, but I have to say that I felt better than I have in a while.

First stop of the con day was the art show, where we were pleased to see that Jain had sold some more pieces. Her balls of odd objects are amazing. I hope to post here some pictures of them sometime soon.

After a small and quick lunch, I headed to the first of my two, back-to-back, ninety-minute panels. This one was on the burning question of whether climate change is "storyable." After a quick and resounding "yes!" we ended up in a climate-change-science discussion dominated by two panel members; I was not one of them. I was glad to be able to escape a tad early.

My role in the next program item, the Baen Books slide show, was fortunately rather small. I spoke a few times about my current and upcoming work, helped editor Jim Minz a bit, and enjoyed the show.

We wedged a nice dinner between that item and the Hugos, then watched as many talented and good folks received their awards. I was sad that my pal, John Picacio, did not win the artist nod, but losing to Donato Giancola is nothing to be ashamed of.

This is my 800th blog post, and by coincidence it comes on a very bittersweet day. I've attended all but about half a dozen of the Worldcons since my first in Phoenix in 1978. I've gone to the Hugos at all of those cons. I've watched and wondered what it would be like to be a nominee, even a winner, and for a time early in my career I thought I might make it to that ceremony one day. I no longer think so, and I am saddened by that belief.

What's most important, though, and what I must constantly remind myself, is that none of this has any effect on what I do. Win or lose, nominated or not, I will get up and work and write the next day. The people that matter to me will still need me and care about me, and that is a great treasure indeed.

So, as I send my congratulations to all the Hugo winners and nominees, and as I confess publicly my deep and long-held desire to be among them, I also know that I will write today and tomorrow and every day, and I will do the best work I can, and the rest will happen as it will.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As we grow, we adjust to what we believe is possible. Don't give up your dreams. Seriously.

And I really enjoy reading what you write. Even when it's dark.

-sarah

Mark said...

I don't plan to give them up, but in this case I also don't plan to let them control what I do. Thanks for the kind words.

Labels

Blog Archive