Sunday, January 18, 2009

On the road again: Arisia, day 3

I began the day after a rather long and delicious sleep, so I entered the small hotel gym with more than my usual enthusiasm. The previous day, free headphones had been plentiful, so I left my earbuds in the room. This gym still hates me: no free headphones. So, I walked the treadmill while alternately watching the silent TV and pondering Children No More.

The race each way across the glassed-in walkway was thrilling, as always.

Dave Seeley, who is the artist guest of honor, led an art show tour that I quite enjoyed. Dave began by discussing the works he had on display--and asking me to talk a bit about his cover for the Transhuman anthology--and then gave his perspective on quite a few other pieces in the show.

From his tour we went to a bellydance performance in the main ballroom. We emerged a sweaty forty-five minutes later with two distinct impressions:

1) All the dancers were at least decent, with several very good and quite a lot of fun to watch.

2) It is possible to fill a ballroom with so much fan ass stench that the smell actually begins to solidify in the air and obscure your vision.

Rarely have I been happier to hide for a few minutes in my own, fan-ass-free room and breathe its odor-free atmosphere.

Dinner was a great tasting menu at No. 9 Park. We'd read some foodie online comments that suggested the place had lost its way, but our server at Oishii had recommended it, so we gave it a go. The foodies were wrong; she was right. With the exception of an unsatisfying and extremely sticky dessert, each course was delightful. I highly recommend this place.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive