Monday, December 15, 2008

Two essential Christmas songs

I have a lot of holiday traditions. If you count all the traditions of my extended family, I have an amazingly large number of such traditions. I don't mind, though; in fact, I quite like them.

One of those traditions is making the time to listen to a few special songs--not your usual Christmas songs, but those that crack me up. Two in particular spring to mind.

The first is funny as long as you have a sick sense of humor. Check it out, and listen carefully; Steve Martin is hilarious.


The second may be funny only to those who have seen Love Actually, but that's okay; if you haven't seen that film, buy it now and watch it immediately. Most of the following video is not in the movie, but some parts are, and the performance by Bill Nighy as Billy Mack is wonderful. Enjoy.


Oh, heck, I know I said two songs, but we have to end with Bruce. We just have no choice. I saw him and the E Street Band do this song in 1984, and it was marvelous. This video is a great rendering. You gotta love Bruce and Clarence singing together.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

What a way to start the day. BRUUUUCE and Billy Mack. And, Merry Christmas to you.

Elizabeth said...

I just want to say that I think it's incredibly cool that you saw Bruce Springsteen play Santa Claus is Comin' to Town live in concert. That was one of my favorite Christmas songs when I was in junior high and high school!

Mark said...

It was definitely wonderful to see.

Labels

Blog Archive