Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Day the Earth Stood Still

I loved the original movie, and I still think it's underrated. I watched the trailer for the remake with considerable trepidation, but like everyone I had to applaud the casting of Keanu Reeves as a robotic alien; after all, the more robot-like the character, the better Reeves is at playing it. The new version even led at the box office this past weekend.

I just haven't been able to make myself go see it.

Understand: I'll go see anything. Okay, that's a lie: I gave Soul Plane a pass (though I'm now wondering if that was an error). For some reason, I am afraid this particular remake might make me so angry I would do something inappropriate in the theater, so I'm saving it for DVD viewing.

I do, though, hate that I'm not supporting an SF film. Maybe I'll talk myself into it if I take off some time over the holidays. If any of you have seen it, please drop me a note and let me know what you thought of it; I remain curious.

4 comments:

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

The comments from people I trust have been bad. I think this will make "Snakes on a Plane" (you didn't mention if you saw **that** classic!) look good.

Unknown said...

I wouldn't worry too much about THIS remake. From what I understand, they've changed the basic plot premise from "if you bring your bombs out here, we'll be forced to destroy you" to "if you don't stop killing yourselves with global warming, we'll be forced to kill you ourselves."

The former makes sense. The latter means the movie is a dead waste of a shilling.

Mark said...

Thanks, guys. You are only reinforcing my decision not to go.

Mark said...

Thanks, guys. You are only reinforcing my decision not to go.

Labels

Blog Archive