Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Snakes on a plane

In a comment to last night's post, Fred asked if I'd seen Snakes on a Plane. I have to admit it: I did. Worse, I enjoyed that movie more than I hated it. I even own and have watched the DVD.

I told you I'd see anything.

I can defend my position somewhat. Though Snakes was simultaneously both more stupid than it should have been and entirely too serious about itself, it still had moments of great (if unbelievable) viewing pleasure: the two bathroom snake bites and the anaconda eating the amazingly rude man spring immediately to mind. Plus, the concept was great enough that even though this movie executed it badly, you still had to admire the basic notion.

From what Ed said in his comment, the concept of this Day the Earth Stood Still remake is so wrongheaded that as soon as you hear it, you know you don't want to see the movie. That's a very big and important difference.

And yet, after all this, I am still strangely tempted by Day....

Someone stop him before he buys a ticket!

3 comments:

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

Two more friends weighed in, and my oh my, they were pretty adamant that this flick stinks.

Distract yourself. Go shopping for a new electronic toy. How about a nice "netbook"? Or a new videogame? There's got to be something out there...

Save yourself!

Anonymous said...

not helping on the resistance front... one of my local friends saw it and thought it didn't suck - his review is here.

or you could catch "punisher: war zone" instead - lots of spouting gore, a truly ridiculous number of bullets, and the second-most-creative use of a pencil in the movies this year. schlock,for sure, but well-done schlock.

- lisa

Mark said...

I don't know, guys. Under Lisa's positive pressure, I feel my resolve waning.

Labels

Blog Archive