Saturday, September 27, 2008

A completely meaningless sample

A long time ago, when popular music was mostly awful and good music was mostly punk--yes, the eighties--John Kessel and I ran a writer's workshop we called the Sycamore Hill Writers' Conference. During the years when I was attending SycHill (which is still running; I'm no longer invited), we often took informal surveys of the writers on topics of huge import, such as handedness. I offer three of these for your amusement:

* Left-handedness was more common than in the population at large--or at least, so I remember. (I'm right-handed.)

* The overwhelming majority of the writers were either first-born children or first-born male children. (I'm a first-born.)

* The overwhelming majority of the writers did not attend their high-school prom. (I did not.)

Like most such anecdotal data, I find this material suspect, but at the same time, I've always liked knowing it, so I thought I'd pass it along.

2 comments:

Maria said...

Left-handed, second born--female, attended prom my junior year, but was a foreign exchange student my senior year so didn't attend.

Then again, I've never attended a writer's workshop as I don't pay attention well. I tend to drift off into the castles and forests of my mind, completely undisciplined and unteachable.



:>)

Mark said...

You aren't the only writer not to conform to that particular sample, so don't feel bad [g].

Labels

Blog Archive