Monday, September 22, 2008

The cover for Overthrowing Heaven

Steve Hickman was kind enough to email me a JPEG of his pencil layout of the cover for Overthrowing Heaven. At the risk of tormenting readers--oh, hell, let's be honest: for the joy of tormenting readers--I have to say the sketch was pretty nifty. It's also unlike the One Jump Ahead and Slanted Jack covers in a very obvious way that I won't mention. The cover is even reasonably true to a great (at least for me; you'll have to decide for yourself later) scene in the book.

I can only hope I finish the first draft of OH before he completes the painting of the cover. Right now, it's a tough race. I'm well over 100K words, but I'm far from done.

When Steve finishes the art and Baen has done the initial sales stuff with it, I'll see if I can persuade Toni to let me post the image here. I doubt I can succeed, and she should certainly withhold permission if my posting it would cost any sales, but I figure it can't hurt to ask.

Cool stuff.

End of torment.

6 comments:

Maria said...

That's pretty mean. Careful. Us readers can be very devious when it comes to taking revenge...some of us are VERY creative.

Mark said...

Sorry for being mean. I didn't intend to do that. No creative revenge, please.

Anonymous said...

This is my first post since I just recently found this site. The books are fantastic and I really hope there are many more. I saw that John Ringo had proudly endorsed your work so I found them and I'm certainly not disappointed I did. I now have found another way of disposing of some of my income. I also like the journal considering I'm not much of a blog person. Anyway keep up the great work and I look forward to visiting the site on a regular basis......Chris.....

PS......Who are you kidding, you did mean to be mean but in a I know something that you don't sort of way....hahah....

Anonymous said...

Actually, though I hate to interfere with reader torture, I'd prefer you spread the cover image around like confetti. For the cover art itself, sans type, permission needs to come from the artist. --Toni, publisher o' Baen

Mark said...

Hi, Chris,

Thanks for joining me on this odd blog journey. I'm glad you enjoyed the previous books and hope you like the next one.

I was trying to tease, not to be mean, but I have to admit that the line between the two is mighty thin sometimes.

Mark said...

Okay, folks, you saw Toni's instructions, and she's the boss. As soon as we have a cover image for Overthrowing Heaven--and I have no idea when that will be--I will show it here.

Labels

Blog Archive