Sunday, July 13, 2008

In memoriam

A young woman died today. I know that happens somewhere in the world probably every second of every day, but this young woman was a friend of my daughter's and someone I'd met multiple times, most recently at our fireworks party. In an accident in which another car hit the car in which this young woman was a passenger, she lost her life. Police suspect the driver of the car that caused the accident was driving under the influence.

What a waste.

I'm not going to link to a news story about this poor young woman or even name her; I don't feel I have that right.

I am, though, profoundly angry and sad at this stupid loss. I barely know her family, but what I know of them is good, and thirteen days ago I watched their son play frisbee with mine. I watched them watch their children, and the love in their eyes was a beacon that could light the night.

This young woman was beautiful, creative, and smart. I heard this young woman talk, and I heard her read bits of her writing, and I enjoyed both experiences. I watched her treat my daughter with honor, respect, and love, and I know my daughter felt the same way about her. I cannot imagine her family's grief at her death. I don't have to imagine my daughter's; I watched it.

Cling tight to those you love. Hug them with sincerity. If you have children, protect them as best you can; they won't be children for all that long, and you can't protect them from everything.

I'm so sorry this young woman is gone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a shame! i met several of your daughter's friends at fireworks, and it's horrible to think of any one of them being gone - they were all so vibrant and intelligent and friendly...

*hugs* to you and sarah and the rest of your family. she and her family will be in my thoughts as well.

- lisa

Mark said...

Thanks. I appreciate the good thoughts. I'm still pissed and depressed about it, and my dreams last night were nowhere good to be.

Anonymous said...

Please express my deep condolences to Sarah.

Mark said...

Thanks.

Labels

Blog Archive