Monday, July 14, 2008

On a lighter note

We've been watching a lot of DVDs, and we also went to the theater today to see WALL*E, so I thought I'd give you some quick mini-reviews that might save you some time and money.

I'll start with WALL*E, which we actually went out to watch. Go see it. It's sentimental, and the ending would never work (if you haven't seen it, I won't spoil it for you, but gravity is the problem), but it's still a fun ride and a sweet one.

Charlie Wilson's War: Buy the DVD. It's fun, it's about material most folks don't know, and all the performances are good. The extras are also worthwhile, particularly because the real Charlie Wilson is better looking, bigger, and more interesting than Tom Hanks makes him; usually in such pictures, it's the other way around.

Day of the Dead (the 2007 version): Maybe the title is cursed. The original, which is Romero's fault, was one of the worst zombie movies I've ever seen (and I've watched a lot of them). This one is way worse, easily the worst zombie movie of my life. Save your time and your money.

Joe Rogan: From the Belly of the Beast: The DVD of Rogan's stand-up that was available last year was hit and miss, but he had enough good material to cause me to buy this video of an earlier (2001) performance in Austin. Mistake. The material begins rascist, is often repetitive, and just flat isn't funny enough. To be fair, Rogan delivers some laughs, but not enough to warrant the investment of your dough or your attention.

Kyle and I are on the only ones on the late crew tonight (last night, we started with four folks, but the others left), so we're going to try The Signal. Perhaps I'll report on it tomorrow.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive