Monday, January 28, 2008

Travel day

I got up a little after eight, still groggy from having less than four hours of sleep, and showered and headed to the airport. Travel was the usual joy, though this time the free bandwidth in both the RDU and ORD Admiral's Clubs worked without a hitch. The flight from ORD to SFO was over an hour and forty minutes late, but I spent the time in comfort and finished some work, so I have no room to complain.

Once upon a time, you'd land in an airport, grab your bag quickly, catch a rental car shuttle, and get your car. In SFO, you go down an escalator, wait a half hour or so for your bag, go up two escalators, walk a couple of blocks, go up another escalator, ride a train for ten minutes, stand in the rental car line, and eventually get your car. You then follow a course plotted by a drunk trying to draw concentric circles, and if you're lucky you end up heading to your destination. Today, I enjoyed that process--in the rain. Big fun.

Dinner actually was fun and tasty, because it was at one of my Bay area eating traditions: Max's in Burlingame. I should have demonstrated better self control, but I couldn't resist the patty melt, which is one of the best of its type anywhere.

I'm actually typing bits into the Overthrowing Heaven outline, so I feel vaguely better about the book. Of course, I'll feel a lot better when I'm actually writing it--for a while. Then the dread will come, and the cycle will repeat, as it does.

But I gotta write, so I will. And at least right now, I think this one is going to be good.

Back to it.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive