Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Mandarina

At lunch today I took the time to run out to the Pancho Villa Taqueria, a bustling place in downtown San Mateo. A co-worker introduced me to this place almost a decade ago, and on one of my early visits she suggested I try a sweetened fruit drink, the Mandarina, that they make on the premises.

I was hooked.

I've never been able to get it anywhere else. Very frustrating.

Today, I drank an extra large, as I always do when in town, then regretted it for the next several hours, as I also always do, as my belly coped with the sheer volume. Of course, the al pastor super burrito I consumed--their burritos are also top-notch--didn't help the volume issue.

If you're in the area, go back to Third Street and up a couple of blocks to M is for Mystery, a fine independent bookstore where the staff know their stock, read and love their books, and take pride in that knowledge. I dropped way too much money on books I could have ordered cheaper online, but I felt good supporting the place. I also tried to talk one of the owners, Ed Kaufman, into carrying my Jon & Lobo books, which I think fit the thriller mold while also being SF. Ed said he'd give One Jump Ahead a look if I sent him a copy; I must remember to do that.

Back to writing, from which I have now strayed too long.

2 comments:

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

Great, now I'll be rummaging through the pantry after reading that menu!

On the plus side, the local B&N had Transhuman in stock, so I picked up a copy.

Mark said...

Yeah, I get hungry even thinking about it.

Thanks for picking up Transhuman! I hope you enjoy it. Spread the word, though, because anthologies sell terribly and vanish quickly, which would in this case be a shame.

Labels

Blog Archive