Saturday, October 20, 2007

An unusual lunch

Yesterday, I spent my lunchtime with David Beaver, founder of the World Space Center and Mindspace Multimedia, and creator of the Magic Theatre Project. I'd seen an early demo of the Magic Theatre technology in the late 1980s during a Sycamore Hill Writers' Workshop, and it was interesting. I'm a believer in space technology, so I agreed to meet with David to discuss his efforts to use his technology to help bring the overview effect, the sensations astronauts feel when they view the Earth from space, to the masses. (Go here for Frank White's book on the overview effect.)

I didn't leave the lunch convinced that David's business plans would work, nor do I have enough current data about his technology to be able to form a solid opinion about whether it's truly compelling. I am convinced, however, of his own deep belief, both in his technology and in the value of making the overview effect available to a broader audience.

You can judge for yourself, at least in part, by visiting the various links I've provided and reading the available information.

I wish him luck.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive