Monday, October 15, 2007

The big red binder rides again

I've finished the second pass of Slanted Jack, and I'm very pleased to have reached this point. I enjoyed the book quite a lot, and I believe I improved it greatly with this last pass.

My next pass involves printing it, which I have already done, and going over the pages with a red pen in my hand. Reading the work on paper is still, to me, very different from seeing it on the screen. Because the book is now fairly polished, this pass typically goes fairly quickly, but I expect to find plenty of things I want to change.

Slanted Jack now weighs in at over 118K words and, depending on the printer I use, 445 or 446 pages. Toting that much paper around has the potential be a hassle, and I take it with me most places, just in case I get time to work on it. To make the carrying task easier, when I reached this point with One Jump Ahead, I asked Gina if she could find me a large binder to hold the three-hole-punched printout. She did, and I'm using that binder again for Slanted Jack.

I've posted a few pictures of it here. I know: what a geek.


Still, with 445 pages and a weight (ms., binder, and two red pens) of six pounds five ounces, it represents, to me, quite an achievement.

I'll be even happier when I've finished it and sent it to Toni.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive