Wednesday, February 6, 2013

On the road again: Silicon Valley, day 5


The highlight of an otherwise work-filled day was a superb dinner at Chef David Kinch's Manresa.  As I blogged about dinner on Saturday night of the Cayman Cookout, my one experience with Kinch's food there left me unimpressed.

Dining at Manresa changed my impression entirely.

The meal was simply world-class.  Every single course was delicious, beautiful, and thoughtfully composed.  Each first bite of a dish brought smiles and moans of pleasure to all at the table, and each last bite left us craving more.  Even the dessert courses, frequently the great weaknesses of otherwise stellar restaurants, were perfect, delicious and complex and beautiful--and thematically in keeping with the emphasis of the rest of the dishes on local products and nature.

We were lucky to get a kitchen tour afterward and to speak briefly with Kincher.  He was gracious, unhappy himself with how that Cayman Cookout meal turned out, and great to talk with.

I cannot recommend Manresa too much.  I already look forward to the next time I have the privilege of eating there.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive