Friday, September 14, 2012

On the road again: San Francisco, day 6

These early-morning wake-up travel days continue to plague me.  You might think I'd be used to them by now, but I'm not.  Still, once I was up and moving after very little sleep, the day went well.  Checkout was painless, the cab ride was quick (and cheaper than the one from the airport to the hotel), and though a couple hundred flights out of SFO were delayed, mine was on time.  I grabbed a sandwich for lunch on the plane, worked in the Admirals Club, and boarded and took my exit-row aisle seat.

Normally, that location would be pretty much a guarantee of a good ride, but not today.  Today, I was seated next to a six-foot-three, two-seventy-five ex-football player.  He was as nice as he could be, and I stayed nice, but we both spent over three hours sitting with our shoulders curled.  It's hard to work in that situation, but I managed, and the distraction helped.  He put himself to sleep.  I think we'll both be happy if we never see each other again.

I rushed like mad to make my gate in DFW, only to find my flight had slipped an hour.  That was okay, though, because it gave me time to grab my now traditional and always delicious Red Mango parfait and to do some more work in another Admirals Club.

I was lucky enough to get a first-class upgrade, which was great, but the woman in the seat next to me was a nervous passenger who hated flying and so who really wanted to talk.  I preferred to work.  We compromised on a fair amount of talking.  So it goes.

I'm home safely, so I can't complain but so much.

Tomorrow, an Escapist Expo panel!


No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive