Monday, April 16, 2012

On the road again: Portland, day 2

Meetings and other work consumed the day. It's gray and rainy here, as it so often is, but I still love this place. Not to go too vague or mystical, but something about the vibe of Portland just makes me happy.

We'd settled on sushi for dinner, but I remained doubtful of the choice. The previous two sushi places I've tried in Portland were, to be kind, not particularly good. We had settled on a restaurant, but as we were getting out of the car at the hotel, the Japanese-American bellman made a slight face when I named it.

I asked what he recommended.

He immediately responded, "Saburo's. I've eaten there many, many times."

We went there.

The bellman was right.

The sushi was quite good--not outstanding, not world-class, but definitely the best I've yet had in Portland and quite tasty. The portions were huge, too: each piece was easily the size of two, and in some cases, three normal pieces of sushi. The red bean ice cream, a dessert I love and sample whenever I get the chance, was also the best I've ever had.

I join the bellman in recommending Saburo's.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive