Tuesday, August 30, 2011

So hard

Yesterday, Sarah flew to Rome en route to starting a semester studying abroad. Watching her go so far away was incredibly hard, because this will mark the longest we've ever been apart from her. I know the semester will be fantastic, and in many ways I'm envious, but I also know that being alone for the first time in a foreign country can be scary at times.

You can follow some of Sarah's adventures in her blog.

I know that dealing with all sorts of new things is just part of growing up, but every time Sarah or Scott suffers at all, my heart aches, and I wish I could make it all better.

When they were toddlers and something bad happened, I could pick them up, hold them, murmur reassurances, and in short order the tears would stop, and all would be right with the world. I can't do that any longer, particularly when they are away, and I hate it. Yes, I know it's natural, that they're grown people, that they can take care of themselves--all the rational statements, I know them, but I still hate it.

I wish I could hug Sarah now until all was right with her world. Not being able to do so, no matter how proper or natural, is so hard, so very hard, one of the hardest things in the world.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive