Monday, April 18, 2011

On the road again: college visit, day 2

After almost no sleep, I rose early to set out for the information session, the tour, and lunch with a friend of Scott's. All were fun, and the campus was lovely. After lunch, we hit the computer science department's information session, which was reasonably informative and, as one would expect, drew an entirely male student audience. The paucity of women in computer science is a big issue for the U.S. and one on which there is now a great deal of work.

By going to the early sessions, we were able to leave in mid afternoon and drive home. All of us were ready to be back, and after a tiring drive, I'm happy to be able to report that we are.

I'm also pleased to note that all of the colleges my kids have considered have struck me as rather significantly higher quality institutions than anyplace I attended. In this area, I feel I have done my job of making things better for the next generation. Much, much greater work remains on that front, of course, but we must enjoy the small victories we get.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"The paucity of women in computer science is a big issue for the U.S. and one on which there is now a great deal of work."

That why I have a Computer Engineer Barbie on my desk at work. My sister is a teacher at Duke and is involved in multiple projects to make girls aware that computer science is a realistic career option. One of those efforts was to vote for this Barbie... so she bought them and now I have one.

Really: http://news.discovery.com/tech/computer-engineer-barbie.html

Mark said...

If it helps draw women to the field, I'm all for it.

Labels

Blog Archive