Sunday, December 19, 2010

Finally

Yesterday, the Senate voted 65 to 31 to end the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" law. Finally, gay and lesbian members of the armed forces don't have to hide their love.

I know a young man who is going through college in ROTC. He is a conservative, a Republican, and a patriot. I doubt we could have a political conversation longer than five minutes without getting into an argument, but I respect greatly his choice to serve his country, and I like him. Until yesterday, he could not hold his boyfriend's hand in public without risking his career. As far as I'm concerned, that's just wrong, and I'm glad the law that made him have to hide is now behind us.

2 comments:

Jessee said...

I understand what the "gays" got out of it, but I don't understand how the country will benefit?

The Marines and Army Infantry opposed the measure, believing their ability to fight would be impaired.

Mark said...

I don't want to end up in a long political argument here in a comments thread, so I will suggest only that you consider what the Joint Chiefs recommended.

Labels

Blog Archive