Friday, December 24, 2010

TRON: Legacy

Last night, a group of us went to check out this sequel to the 1982 film that many of us remember fondly--though for its look, which at the time was quite cool, not its story. My expectations were low, but as a card-carrying geek (what? you don't have yours?), I had to give it a try.

Like its predecessor, the movie looked nifty. Its world was no longer new, so it was not revolutionary, but it was stylized enough that as long as you didn't question the silliness of characters who were on the run wearing glowing clothing, you could enjoy the graphics.

It also had a strong Daft Punk soundtrack, one that, as Kyle noted, improved every scene in which it was playing.

Also like its predecessor, TRON: Legacy displayed terrible science, dialog that was weak at best, and a plot that worked only so long as you never thought for a moment about it and instead just accepted that you'd be watching the characters go here and there doing this and that.

Despite all the film's weaknesses, I enjoyed it well enough that, unlike when I went to The Tourist, I didn't leave the theater regretting the time and money I'd expended. I can't honestly recommend TRON: Legacy, but if you're a geek, you'll be going anyway, and you'll have a pleasant enough time.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive