Thursday, October 28, 2010

On the road again: World Fantasy Con, Columbus, day 2

I didn't get to see much of the con today, because work consumed most of my waking hours, but a few incidents from the day deserve note.

After registering for the con, I didn't have much time before a client call, so lunch was in a food court in the adjacent convention center. As frequent readers will know, I'm a big fan of the mighty tube steak, so I ordered one from one of the vendors there. Mistake. Big mistake. The dog started doing tricks in my stomach and didn't stop for the next half dozen hours.

A mid-afternoon visit to the original Jeni's Ice Creams location did help somewhat. I tried my first Jeni's ice cream sandwich--oatmeal cookies, which they baked, surrounding vanilla ice cream--and it was wonderful. I'm so very glad I don't live near one of these stores.

Dinner was a delightful meal at M, courtesy of Tor Publisher Tom Doherty. The food was very good, but the stories from Tom were better. He started in publishing in 1957, and his knowledge of the field and its history is both wide and deep. We all tried to persuade him to write a book about it, but I don't think we succeeded. I truly hope he does.

I talked with a few folks in the hotel bar after dinner, then spent many hours working.

Oh, yeah: I'm finally announcing the contents of the anthology I've been editing that will appear next August. See the next post for more on The Wild Side.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive