Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My reading at The Regulator Bookshop

I've been going to The Regulator off and on--it's fairly far from my house--for over twenty years. It's one of those independent bookstores with a strong personality: liberal politics befitting its location near Duke, homey, a great variety of interesting books, and a sense that everyone there really cares about books. I had hoped to do a reading and signing there for my first novel, but the cover and publisher were enough to convince them not to give me a slot. For Children No More, though, they were willing to talk, and after meeting with Gina, they let me sign earlier tonight.

I'm the very least qualified person to assess how it went, but from my perspective it was at least okay. More than two dozen folks showed up, though I must admit that I knew the majority of them. I read a couple of chapters from CNM and two of the blog lessons, and then I answered questions. Many people bought books, and I signed a bunch of them.

Thanks to Gina, I have a few pictures from the reading. I hate posting pictures of myself, but folks complain when I don't, so here I am at the reading podium.


Now, check me out in artistic black and white, answering a question.


Do I look all writerly?

Unless something unusual happens, this will be my last solo signing for Children No More. I'll probably participate in the World Fantasy Con group autographing session on Friday, and then I won't be signing anywhere for many months. So, if you want me to sign something--a book I wrote, one I didn't, a particularly sensitive body part--just come on by the con.

6 comments:

Dan Campbell said...

It was a very enjoyable reading, Mark! You have a fine sense of balancing gravity with humor, and your devotion to telling hard, but necessary, truths comes through in both cases. Have fun at World Fantasy Con!

Mark said...

Thanks for the kind words, Dan.

Anonymous said...

Were you by the door for a quick exit in case it didn't go well? Nice shots. Signing sensitive body parts? Boy are you asking for trouble...haha.....Chris....

Mark said...

Yeah, Chris, I probably am.

montsamu said...

The black and white definitely looks very writerly. Is that available in higher resolution?

Mark said...

I'll check with Gina.

Labels

Blog Archive