Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Blue Rodeo

played tonight at the Carrboro Arts Center, so five of us went to see them. Long-time readers will know that Blue Rodeo is one of my favorite bands, so there was no way I was going to miss them. If you don't know them or their music, check out some of the videos I embedded in earlier posts or, better still, pick up one or more of their CDs. Their first CD, Outskirts, is definitely one of my desert island top ten.

The concert was wonderful. Though they were playing to a fairly small crowd--estimates ranged from 75 to a max of 200--everyone in the band put on a great show. They played a strong list of songs that included the three I'd most hoped to hear ("Heart Like Mine," "Till I Am Myself Again," and "Five Days In May"), a great selection from their newest disc, and a nice assortment of other tunes. "Five Days In May" was absolutely astounding, as several solos, notably the pianist's and the violinist's, were so energetic and so full of joy that I was for several minutes transfixed with happiness. Amazing.

A great surprise was the opening act, Cuff the Duke. I'd never heard of them before, but now I own both their CDs. Though their lyrics were overly simplistic, their music and performance were so charming and so catchy that I wanted to hear more.

At the end of the encore, Blue Rodeo brought all of its musicians and Cuff the Duke onto the stage; courtesy of Gina, you can see a picture of them below. They then closed the show with an ending song I've seen them use before: "Lost Together." I knew it was coming, I've heard it live several times, and yet it was still magical, the two bands, the audience, all of us singing and, in that moment, truly lost together in the music.

Blue Rodeo should be huge in America. If they come near you, catch their show, and find out for yourself just how good they are.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive