Sunday, November 22, 2009

UFC 106: How we did

In yesterday's entry, Kyle and I made our picks for last night's UFC PPV event. Today, I must report the results. Though I'll give you the fight-by-fight run-down, first, the two main points: Kyle kicked my ass with a two-fight edge where we disagreed, and we both sucked.

Here are the final stats for the ten fights:

Kyle: 5-5
Mark: 3-7
As I said, we sucked, and I sucked worse.

Now, on to the fights, again in order from the bottom of the card to the main event.

George Sotiropoulos vs. Jason Dent

We both chose Sotiropoulos, with me saying probably by submission and Kyle dropping the "probably." The Australian fighter indeed won by a sweet armbar.

Caol Uno vs. Fabricio Camoes

I picked Camoes. Kyle chose Uno. We were both wrong: it was a majority draw. I give neither of us a point for this one. I can't comment further on this fight , because it's the only preliminary we didn't get to watch, but I can say that I don't expect to see Uno in the UFC much longer.

Brock Larson vs. Brian Foster

We both chose Larson, and we were both wrong. Foster won by TKO in the second, and he was dominating Larson well before that time. Foster was very impressive.

Kendall Grove vs. Jake Rosholt

Another preliminary, another one we both missed. We called Rosholt, but Grove choked him with a triangle in the first.

Ben Saunders vs. Marcus Davis

Kyle chose Saunders to win by using his reach. I chose Davis as the superior striker. Saunders demolished Davis: He knocked out Davis in the first with knees.

At this point, Kyle led 1-0. I was worried but not overly so.

Then the main fights started.

Amir Sadollah vs. Phil Baroni

We both chose Sadollah, and indeed he won, though by decision after beating the living snot out of Phil Baroni, who simply would not fall.

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Luis Cane

I said that it was always risky betting against a Nogueira, and I was right, because Little Nog TKO'd Cane early in the first. Kyle called for Nog by submission, but he still called Nog. Kyle now led 2-0.

Paulo Thiago vs. Jacob Volkmann

I really thought Volkmann could take this one, but it was a bad night to be from Minnesota: Brock Lesnar out sick, Brock Larson getting TKO'd, and then Volkmann dropping a unanimous decision. Kyle stuck with Thiago and at this point led 3-0.

Josh Koscheck vs. Anthony Johnson

We both chose Johnson, and we were both again wrong, as Koscheck eventually submitted Johnson in one of the sloppier (or dirtier, if any of the bad blows and eye pokes were intentional) fights in a while.

Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz

I went with Forrest, and Kyle opted for Tito. After three rounds, we all wanted two more, because no one had clearly won. Still, when the judges returned their decision, it was a split--in favor of Griffin. Finally, I won one against Kyle.

Kyle ended the night up by two.

The real winner of this fight was Dana White, who now has a ready-made main event--Ortiz vs. Griffin 3--whenever he needs it.

**********

As always, the most important lesson you should learn from our predictions is this: do not bet any money based on them.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive