Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My first day back after vacation

featured the following:

* Waking up in a puddle of sweat because the upstairs air-conditioner was broken. (I knew about the problem when I went to bed, but I was hoping the AC from my office would cool my bedroom enough to make the bedroom tolerable. It did not.)

* Getting up early. Always a joy after a vacation.

* Getting up early to take Sarah to have all four wisdom teeth removed.

* Sitting in a doctor's office for over three hours, worrying.

* Watching helplessly as Sarah came out feeling bad and then remained feeling bad, all admittedly as expected, for the rest of the day. Scott has had two oral surgeries, and now Sarah has had one, and watching them in pain has been one of the hardest things I've done. In each case the surgery has been necessary, and the recoveries have all gone well, but I hate watching my children suffer in any way. Until I was a parent, I never understood how painful that could be, but I do now.

I've certainly had many far worse days, but this one was a rough reintegration to normal life. I'm looking forward to a more normal "normal" rest of the week.

2 comments:

John Lambshead said...

Dear Mark

I know what it's like to suffer fearsome temperatures without AC.

Here in Kent, the temperature climbed to 21degr. C. when the sun came out. Fortunately, it started to rain again before we suffered heat stroke.

John

PS I am about to kitbash a 40K Zombie horde. Wanna pic, when I do?

Mark said...

My heart bleeds for your temperature suffering.

Of course I want a picture of that many bashed zombies!

Labels

Blog Archive