Sunday, May 10, 2009

Star Trek: I loved it

I really did. Based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews, I thought I'd like it, but I walked out loving it. J.J. Abrams took a moribund, if not completely dead, franchise and brought it back to live as a younger, sexier version of itself--but without abandoning any of the basic tenets and the fundamental optimism of Roddenberry's original.

For those who'd seen the original series, as most folks in my group had, the movie was full of little in-jokes and touches that rewarded our knowledge. At least from the comments of many in our audience and of Scott, those who'd never watched a full episode of the first show also greatly enjoyed this new version.

The first sight of the Enterprise, always a challenge for a film given the ship's near-legendary status among fans, was perfect, as inspiring as it should be.

I don't like giving spoilers, but I believe because of all the trailers the following comment won't unveil any secrets: at the very end, when Leonard Nimoy read the Star Trek mission statement, I teared up. Other long-time fans did, too. I'm sure that was part of the goal, but I don't care; it was an act of manipulation that worked.

I'll see this one again, and I'll watch for the sequel, which Abrams' IMDB entry mentions.

Star Trek is the first absolutely must-see SF movie of the year. Don't miss it.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

It was a perfect movie. Funny, exciting, endearing, action packed filled with gorgeous people and clever dialogue. As a longtime Star Trek fan, I was worried how they would integrate a "prequel" to the regular series. Abrams did a wonderful job. I agree with you, that knowing the series helped a great deal as it was almost a game catching the clues that linked the old with the new, but it wasn't necessary to enjoy the film. I can't wait for the sequel.

AndrewG said...

Starts with a punch to the heart and never stops. The creative team is genius!

Now onto important things like "if Lobo took on the Enterprise..."

Mark said...

If Lobo took on the Enterprise, he'd be trashed in no time. The approach would require some stealth--but then my money would be on Jon & Lobo.

Of course.

Michael said...

I loved the new Star Trek as well. So much so in fact that I have already seen it twice. As AndrewG said it starts with a punch to the heart, which I totally agree with. I was 'Emotionally Compromised' from the opening encounter, and that hooked me for the rest of the film both times I saw it.

As for Lobo Vs Enterprise. I would imagine that Lobo would be significantly faster, smaller, and maneuverable than the Enterprise. He still has considerable weaponry enough that he could fly circles around the Enterprise ripping it apart with relative ease. I would think that the Enterprise might have trouble locking on to such a small and fast craft.

... at least that's how I see it.

Mark said...

I think the best chance for Lobo would be to get on board and tap into Enterprise's computer. Wait until Overthrowing Heaven, when that will make great sense.

Labels

Blog Archive