Saturday, May 16, 2009

The rice problem

The following is a reasonably accurate transcript of my phone call earlier tonight with the young woman taking phone orders at the Pei Wei nearest me.

I am not making this up. I wish I were.

PW: Welcome to Pei Wei.

Me: I'd like to place a take-out order.

PW: How can I help you?

Me: I'd like to place a take-out order.

PW: Can I have a name for your order?

Me: Mark.

PW: Okay, what would you like?

Me: Several things. First, one order of crispy chicken.

PW: What kind of rice?

Me: White. I'd like to end up with enough white rice for six.

PW: We don't do things that way. What kind of rice would you like with the chicken?

Me: White.

PW: Is that all?

Me: No. I have several more dishes to order.

PW: Go ahead.

Me: Two orders of spring rolls.

PW: The one with two rolls, or the one with six?

Me: The large one.

PW: Both?

Me: Yes.

PW: So is that the one with two rolls, or the one with six?

Me: The one with six.

PW: Those don't come with rice.

Me: That's okay.

PW: Okay. Is that it?

Me: No. I want--

PW: So do you want something else?

Me: Yes. Two orders of orange peel beef.

PW: What kind of rice?

Me: White.

PW: Okay. It'll be ready in fifteen minutes.

Me: I'm not done.

PW: Oh, okay. So do you want something else?

Me: Yes.

PW: What would you like?

Me: An order of edamame.

PW: Is that all?

Me: No. I need to enough extra rice to bring the total to six orders of rice.

PW: We don't do it that way. The rice comes with some of them, but not with others.

Me: I understand. Surely there must be some way I can buy more rice.

PW: I have to think about it.

Me: Okay.

We pass about fifteen seconds in silence.

PW: I have an idea! I think I know how to solve the rice problem.

Me: How?

PW: I could sell you three side orders of rice.

Me: Great. I'll take them.

PW: You have to pay for them.

Me: That's fine.

PW: They're fifty cents each.

Me: That's fine.

PW: As long as you're sure. Are you sure?

Me: Yes.

PW: So, is that all?

Me: Yes.

PW: So, I have two spring roll orders of the six rolls--they don't come with rice--an order of edamame--no rice with it, either--an order of crispy chicken with white rice, two orders of orange peel beef, both with white rice, and, let me see...yes, three side orders of rice. Is that right?

Me: Yes.

PW: It'll be ready in fifteen minutes.

Me: Thank you.

When I walked into the Pei Wei, two people, one young man and one young woman, were serving a single line of people picking up their orders. I ended up with the young woman--yes, it was the same one--taking my money.

I didn't say a word. I didn't drag her over the counter. I paid, said, "Thank you," and left.

I am amazed at my own self control.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I think she has relatives. I especially love when you ask for extra duck sauce, they repeat it back, you ask at the counter when you pick it up to remind them, and when you get home, not only isn't there extra duck sauce, there is NO duck sauce. Sometimes, self control is all you have.

Mark said...

Yeah, her clones are everywhere.

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

"Who's on first?"

Labels

Blog Archive