Saturday, May 2, 2009

I saw a Tesla roadster yesterday

and it was even sexier than I had imagined it would be, a perfectly contoured black beast of a machine. Wow. If you haven't seen this car, check it out in the Tesla Motors online showroom or drool over it in this video at Jay Leno's Garage. This all-electric monster is as silent as speeding death and will take you from zero to sixty in less than four seconds. I had loved it from afar, but having seen it in person I now must admit that up close it is even better.

Of course, it does have a few drawbacks:

* I'd need to install special charging circuitry in my garage.
* I'd have to take it to New York for service.
* I'd be hard-pressed to fit three large briefcases in the tiny, oddly shaped space that passes for a trunk.

There was something else. What was it? Oh, yeah:

Tricked out the way I'd want it, it runs about $120K.

Sure, you can go cheap with the entry-level model for $101.5K--all prices before tax, of course--but why would you?

I think this is one love of mine that will remain a very long-distance affair.

4 comments:

John Lambshead said...

Dear Mark

Isn't the body a Lotus design?

Top Gear did a test of one. It's very fast but very short range. Their conclusion was a great piece of technology but not a viable car.

John

Mark said...

It's a very modified and improved Lotus body. Top range is 244 miles, but you really shouldn't count on more than about 190, at least from what I've heard. A superb around-town car, but not one for trips.

Toddoliver said...

I live in San Carlos, where they are made. I see one every other week...and I think even a prototype (which I had a camera at the ready). Really cool cars. 0 sound!

Mark said...

Very cool! I wish they had a service place closer to here, though I probably don't need that temptation.

Labels

Blog Archive