Monday, April 27, 2009

Why my books aren't in other countries

A few people have recently asked me why they can't pick up a local edition of any of my books in their countries. The simple answer is that no publisher outside the U.S. has bought the rights to any of my books. My publisher, Baen Books, makes some attempts to sell foreign rights; for example, an editor attended last week's London Book Fair. My agent's foreign rights person also attempts such sales, but so far, no one has bitten.

So, this is sort of in the category of why there are no movies of my books: no one has stepped forward with interest and money.

A more interesting question might be whether my books would appeal to readers in other countries. Predictably, I think they would, but I'm biased. The editors in those countries are, of course, the ones who get to make those choices. I have to assume they are inundated with options, what with not only local writers trying to sell to them but also writers from other countries, such as myself, hoping to earn their interest.

I have no clue if or when this situation will change for me, but if it does, I'll let you know here.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive