Friday, May 1, 2009

Amazing grace

Tonight, Sarah's and Scott's school held its annual celebration of fine arts, an affair that includes a large outdoor dinner (excellent North Carolina barbecue) and then a very long show that features all of the performing arts groups as well as the work of the painters and photographers.

I usually have a pleasant time at such shows, but tonight's was a genuinely good performance. The orchestra played wonderfully, with a concerto for four violins and a Vivaldi piece particular standouts. The choir sang a long Beatles medley, complete with costumes and choreography and a backing rock group, and I very much enjoyed it. Yes, I'm a sucker for the Beatles, but still, these kids did a fine job.

Watching Sarah and Scott play so beautifully always fills me with both amazement at their musical talent--something I lack entirely--and a sense of grace at the privilege I have to know and raise them. This concert, Sarah's last at her school, was particularly powerful emotionally. She's a lifer there, with 14 years in one place, and the camaraderie of her class was powerful and uplifting. I know it will pass, and I know the magic of these special occasions is to bring out the good and to push back the pettiness and rifts that naturally occur in any school class, but getting to see it even briefly was a huge treat.

Like most writers (and, I believe, most thinking people), I spend a great deal of time in my own head, much of it being melancholy or worse--and far more so lately than usual. Tonight, though, I was lucky enough to enjoy several hours of grace courtesy of my children and their classmates. I thank them all, particularly Sarah and Scott, whom I love more than I can ever say.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

That was very touching. There is nothing more important in a child's life than a parent's love. Plus kudos to Sarah and Scott for a job well done.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Dad. This is incredibly sweet. :] I loved last night's concert too. I think it was one of the best ones ever.

A brief note - the Vivaldi piece was the concerto for four violins. We also played "The Swan," Intermezzo from Cavelleria Rustica, and some Chicago piece.

Mark said...

Thanks for the info. I loved all the pieces.

Mark said...

Thanks for the nice note, Michelle.

Labels

Blog Archive