Saturday, March 28, 2009

Thank you, Michael Moorcock

If you're at all serious about SF, you know a little about and have read at least some of the work of Moorcock. If you don't know anything about him, an easy way to pick up a few pointers about him is to read this tribute to him by my pal, John Picacio, at the SFWA banquet at which Moorcock received his well-deserved Grand Master Award.

What I want to talk about here, however, is none of the many accomplishments for which Moorcock has received so much praise. I want to tell you about my few minutes with him on a panel at CoastCon.

Moorcock and his wife, Linda, arrived late, which was understandable because our panel was early on the first day of the con. Moorcock was in a wheelchair and then on crutches, and we encouraged him to do the panel from the floor. He would have none of it. He made his way up the stairs and sat at the end of the table, on my right.

David Weber, the top-selling space opera writer going, was on my left and was acting as de facto moderator.

With those two on either side of me, I figured my role was to pour water, offer to carry their pencil cases, and so on. (I did the first but never had the occasion to do the second.)

As events transpired, however, David asked me a question about the way I was constructing the Jon and Lobo series, and before I knew it I was spouting off to the extremely small audience about my never-before-revealed literary goals and structure for the series.

Moorcock's eyes lit up. He asked me questions. He took me seriously. He talked about his own goals in the Elric books and his challenges in meeting them. He critiqued himself for having gone too far in some directions and hurting his sales as a result. He treated me as a colleague, and he was excited talking about fiction and structure--with a writer with all of two novels out and someone completely unknown to him. (I must hasten to add that David Weber was also quite gracious and interested, but in this post I want to focus on Moorcock.)

This behavior may seem unremarkable, but if it does, you haven't been around enough artistic snobs. I've been snubbed by a great many fellow SF writers for a great many reasons, including my choice of publisher, my decision to write SF adventure, the mere fact that I am writing a series, and so on. I don't think I've ever been snubbed by anyone whose credentials even approached Moorcock's, and he treated me well.

We encountered each other again on the last day of the con. He stopped, shook my hand, apologized for not getting to spend more time with me, and expressed his hope that we would get to talk more in the future. Stunned at the genuine feelings this Grand Master expressed and at his kindness, I mumbled something I hope was appropriate.

Michael Moorcock reminded me of how we all ought to behave. He showed me that no matter your station in a field, you should still love it and discuss it with passion and exclude no one. I've spent precious little time with him, but already I owe him one, not for being nice to me but for showing me how it's done, for being a gracious man. Thank you, Michael Moorcock.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds exactly like the Michael Moorcock I know. He's just a wonderful human being.

John Lambshead said...

What a great story,
John

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

I'm collecting...for the third or fourth or fifth time...his Elric tles (this time from Del Rey). It seems every time somebody comes out with a "complete" set, they never finish the task! But that's how much I love his writing, I'll buy them again and again in the hopes I eventually get a nice unified set.

Mark said...

It is a very good thing indeed to collect.

JP said...

I couldn't have said it better. I was one of the Guest Artists there at CoastCon, which was my first Con as a Guest, and for my very first panel I was sitting alongside John Picacio and Chris Roberson, sitting in for Michael Moorcock who hadn't arrived yet! When I met Mike I was a very humble fan, but he quickly turned me into a friend. It's truly an honor!

Labels

Blog Archive