Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A few pictures

Because folks seem to like them, and because I'm in a random mood.

Biloxi and the surrounding small towns have more Waffle Houses than I've ever seen before, so naturally we had to eat in one. This is John Picacio's lovely sausage biscuit; note the existential loneliness of the sausage. Yet, at only a buck even, it wasn't a bad deal.

You can't raise existential topics, of course, without heading straight toward the Japanese and cherry blossoms, so here's a snap of the three magnificent specimens in my neighbor's yard. We walk by them each morning, and each time we pass them, I seem unable to stop myself from commenting on their beauty, fleeting though it is.

Men can create more lasting flowers of glass, as this picture of the Chihuly flowers on the ceiling of the Bellagio's lobby demonstrates. It's a classic Steve Wynn Vegas over-indulgence, yet it works. I've seen this installation dozens of times, but each time I have to pause and admire it, even if only for a few seconds.

2 comments:

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

Dang, sure, thanks. Post a picture of a sausage patty when it is nearly 10 PM and supper wasn't all that great. Now I'm prowling the house, looking for something to satisfy the cravings for fried food!!!

Mark said...

Sorry about that, Fred. I see your point, but I didn't mean to torture anyone. Still, it is an interesting little biscuit.

Labels

Blog Archive