Thursday, March 12, 2009

On the road again: Portland, day 4

My workday began with a 6:00 a.m. phone meeting, and I'm still working. Aside from a shower, thirty minutes on a treadmill, and dinner, work has been my day. Not my favorite, but so it goes.

Dinner tonight, though, was a treat at another marvelous Portland restaurant, Sel Gris. Chef Daniel Monduk, whom I've mentioned before, and his kitchen team served us a wonderful, four-course tasting menu--which we stretched to five courses with a cheese plate addition.

Well, to be completely accurate, we ended up with six courses, because Gabriel Rucker, Chef/Owner of Le Pigeon, was eating at Sel Gris as well, recognized us, and treated us to a plate of the most delicious calamari I have ever tasted. I was quite surprised and thanked him very much on the spot, but I'm also going to send him a few autographed books.

I'm heading toward my birthday and fighting my usual birthday depression, but I expect it to grab me soon enough. So it goes, I suppose, but I keep hoping to avoid it.

I have to get up in a little over five hours, and I haven't packed yet, so I'll wish everyone a great Friday the 13th and get to work.

2 comments:

John Lambshead said...

Six Courses!
Mark, Mark, Mark - shame on you, said John, whose only jealous.

Mark said...

We did consider adding a foie course, but we thought some might find it excessive....

Labels

Blog Archive