Thursday, March 12, 2009

On the road again: Portland, day 3

I know I write a lot about food when I travel, but it's not just because I love great food; I also can't write about my work meetings. They're confidential. So, you'll have to know that I am attending tons of interesting and good meetings but just can't discuss them.

Tonight, we ate at Beast, where Chef Naomi Pomeroy and Sous Chef Mika Paredes develop a menu and serve it to you--with "Substitutions politely declined," something you see at multiple restaurants here. Our menu tonight included six marvelous courses; I even enjoyed the beet salad, though not as much as the foie gras bon-bon, which was heavenly.

One wall of Beast is essentially a chalkboard, which included the following bits:

Unleash the Beast

Never eat more than you can lift. Miss Piggy
and my favorite
Vegetables are interesting but lack a sense of purpose when unaccompanied by a good piece of meat.
I highly recommend this place and intend to return to it on future trips.

For late-night and early-morning fuel, and because we hadn't been there yet, we also stopped on the way back to the hotel at the justly popular Voodoo Doughnut. These folks make some of the best doughnuts I've ever tasted, and we picked up entirely too many. (Of course, I could argue that one is too many.) You definitely need to run by here if you're in Portland.

For reasons too complex to explain, I have a 6:00 a.m. phone meeting, something that brings terror to my heart, so off I go to other work and then to grab a little sleep.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I disagree about the donuts. There are never too many...If I could eat freshly made Krispee Kreme glazed donuts and not gain weight or screw up my digestive system, I would be a creature that engaged in a continuous gluttony of sugar. I understand your passion.

Mark said...

Ah, but those lovely delights do pack the pounds on me and attack my digestive system, so donuts will for me always be an occasional vice.

John Lambshead said...

Am I the only person in the world that hates doughnuts? Mind you Dunkin Doughnuts do a decent mug of tea - not something that is easy to find in the USA. I have this theory you are still winching the stuff out of Boston Harbour.
John

Mark said...

I am sure there are others; you cannot be alone in this feeling.

Donuts hate me, but I love them.

Labels

Blog Archive