Wednesday, March 11, 2009

On the road again: Portland, day 2

I love this city, but if I lived here I swear I would balloon to something north of six thousand pounds. The food here is just too good.

Tonight, I ate at one of my all-time favorite restaurants, Le Pigeon. I've sung this place's praises many times before, but if you've missed those entries, let me keep it simple: If you're in Portland long enough to eat a dinner and don't do it at Le Pigeon, I will put you over my knee.

One of the things I love about Le Pigeon is that if you're lucky--and we were tonight--you can sit at the bar and watch the chefs cook. Tonight, I got to see them prepare our pork belly and foie gras starters and then our pork shoulder and beef cheek main courses, all of which were strong in flavor and perfectly cooked.

I also love the fact that everyone who works at Le Pigeon seems to care deeply about it. That's the way it should be, and it makes me happy when I encounter it.

Next to us at the bar was a couple that included a chef from Ten-01 Portland, a restaurant that has won honors here and where I will hope to eat next time I'm in town.

I really couldn't afford to live here.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive