Sunday, March 29, 2009

Almost but not quite

Duplicity is the kind of movie I want to like. I enjoy spy and con man plot structures, many romantic comedies work for me, I like Julia Roberts, and I very much like Clive Owen. So, I entered full of hope for the film.

Two hours and a bit later, I left having had a pleasant enough time, willing to say I'd enjoyed the film, but feeling, as I have been with most movies lately, that what I'd just seen never quite fulfilled its promise. Again, I enjoyed it--but I didn't love it, didn't ever fall totally under its spell, and really wish I had.

After some thought, I believe the problem boils down to the leads. Clive Owen played his usual role, which is a cool, distant, handsome and charming fellow. Unfortunately, Julia Roberts also played her character as cool and distant--and pretty and charming, of course.

The problem is, neither of them ever closed the distance between their characters. During almost all of their most intimate moments, they were far away. Only a few times did her justly famous smile reach out--to Owen and to the audience--and then all too quickly it vanished.

The plot is clever enough, mind you, and it's clearly set up for a sequel should this one do well enough. For me to give this leading team another try, however, something in the trailer would have to convince me that their characters cared at all about one another--something Duplicity all too rarely managed to do.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive