Saturday, November 1, 2008

It. Is. Alive.

Okay, maybe not alive, but done in first draft. I just finished all the work on the first draft of Overthrowing Heaven. Last night, I typed "THE END" for the first time, but the draft wasn't complete because I had some patching to do related to the cover. I did that tonight, finished the front and back matter I'd already drafted, and assembled the whole thing in one file just because, well, that's what I do.

For those interested, a few key stats about that file:

* 129,874 words -- over 10,000 more words of awesomeness than Slanted Jack
* 63 chapters (yeah, they're short, but I think they work)
* 500 double-spaced manuscript pages

At this hour, I have no one with whom I can celebrate, not that I do that very well anyway, so I thought I'd tell you all.

Tomorrow, I start the second draft, which means I begin at the very beginning and start editing on the computer. Though I will be cutting madly, I will also be working to improve my imaginative concentration where it's weak, so if I run true to typical form the book will grow a bit.

I have a lot of work to do, a ton, really, but I also have a complete book draft, and that's kinda cool.

Sleep now.

6 comments:

Lisa Shearin said...

Congratulations!! I'm about a third of the way through the first draft of Bewitched & Betrayed, and am scheduled to finish it by Feb. 28 (giving me two months to polish before my deadline).

There's just no feeling like putting that first draft to bed -- and then putting yourself to bed. ; )

Congrats, again!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I anxiously await the finished product...Your teasing about the real story of Lobo being revealed is just too tempting to wait much longer. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

congratulations! *hug*

does that mean you can shave now? or are you still working on the other two objectives?

- lisa

Mark said...

Thanks for the kind words. You're moving at a great clip; congratulations!

I am quite pleased and relieved to have this first draft complete.

Mark said...

Alas, I cannot yet trim my beard, because I am working on the other two objectives. One of them requires me to be home, so it will wait until the middle of next week. Still, I am gaining on them. Thanks for the kind words.

Mark said...

Sorry about the teasing, but it's part of the fun. I think.

Labels

Blog Archive